Fresh Spinach is a vegetable made popular by the cartoon character Popeye. And thus, it is deemed as one of the healthy leafy vegetables known to mankind today. There is a multitude of ways to cook Spinach and one of the fastest and easiest ways to cook them is by sautéing spinach in a pan. Spinach cooks only a couple of minutes and it always tastes better when cooked fresh rather than those frozen or canned ones. If you’d like to learn how to cook fresh spinach, continue reading below to start learning.
Fresh spinach can be found in the grocery tied in bunches. They can also be sold loose or can be found in those cell bags or plastic bags. When looking for spinach to buy, make sure to look for spinach with a good green color. Do not choose those that show wilting or yellowing in color. Make sure that you check the leaves well such that there aren’t that much blemishes or bruises. The stems should also be on the thin side because the thicker stems are signs of over-matured spinach. Try to smell the spinach too. It should always smell fresh and not musty or sour.
Spinach in the bag is the most expensive simply because it is more convenient. Spinach in sealed plastic bags is already washed. They are loose with most of the long stems removed. When you buy the spinach in the sealed plastic, check if it has a springy feel. Make sure to inspect the spinach assuring there are no signs of wilting, decay, or slime. Also, it wouldn’t hurt to give it a quick wash before using just to make sure that you remove any dirt or debris left.
When you are buying the bundled spinach, make sure to untie it once you get home. Remove all the blemished leaves so it won’t affect the other fresh leaves. Also, trim off the stems for the same purpose. Wash your spinach thoroughly and make sure to use cold water. Make sure to drain well before you keep them in your fridge. Loosely wrap them with paper towels and finally place them in a plastic bag. Make sure to consume spinach within two to three days.
Now let’s learn how to cook fresh spinach with these ingredients and steps.
- 16oz. of fresh spinach
- Olive oil
- ½ medium size red onion diced
- ½ tsp of garlic from a jar or ½ clove of fresh garlic
You will also need a large skillet and a colander to prepare your fresh spinach. Here are the steps to take to sauté your spinach.
- Place your fresh spinach in a colander. Run with cold water under your faucet to rinse. In a colander rinse the spinach with cold water under the faucet.
- Prepare your large skillet by coating the bottom with olive oil. This will help avoid spinach sticking to the pan.
- Warm up the pan before placing any of the ingredients. Place the heat on medium high.
- Pour the diced red onion into the skillet.
- Add a bit of salt to add taste.
- Sauté the onion until done or until it becomes clear and tender.
- Once it’s translucent add the garlic next and continue to stir fry.
- Right after thirty seconds to a minute, it’s time to add the spinach to the skillet.
- Stir the mixture.
- Cook the spinach for about three minutes.
- Now you’re done and ready to serve your sautéed spinach!