Most of the grains and wheat known to mankind are the oldest in history. Just take a look at the Bulgur Wheat. It can also be spelled as bulgur wheat. It is one of the oldest recorded in the world. Whole wheat kernel is soaked and cooked to be made into bulgur wheat.
When soaked and cooked, it is allowed to dry. After it dries up, a part of the bran is removed and the remaining parts are cracked into smaller ones. That is how bulgur wheat is made. Now let’s learn how to cook bulgur wheat as one of the dishes that our family and friends can enjoy.
Bulgur wheat can be used in soups and salads. It can also be used to make breads. At the same time, bulgur wheat is also used in desserts. The bulgur wheat also serves as a thickener for meat dishes as well as soups. It is also a great extender. It is also used as an alternative to rice in all recipes. It has the same nutrients as whole wheat.
Bulgur wheat absorbs water twice its volume. When preparing bulgur wheat, it can either be cooked or simply soaked in water to be able to consume it. Here is a recipe to try to help you learn how to cook bulgur wheat. Let’s start with the Tabouli recipe.
The ingredients you’ll need for Tabouli are as follows:
- 1 cup dry Bulgur Wheat
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon crushed fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Fresh black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, include green part
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 chopped cucumber or summer squash
- 1/2 cup cooked chick peas
- ½ cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1 chopped green pepper
Now that you’ve prepared the ingredients, let’s start learning how to cook bulgur wheat with these easy steps.
- First, in a large bowl, combine the bulgur wheat, salt, and boiling water.
- Cover the bowl and let the bulgur wheat soak for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, add in the garlic, oil, mint, and lemon juice.
- Mix them thoroughly before placing in the refrigerator. Keep it in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- After refrigerating the mixture, you can serve them with black pepper and vegetables.
- Garnish with black olives and feta cheese.