Useful for the storage of solids and liquids, plastic tanks come in different materials. Such materials range from Chlorinated PVC (CPVC), Polythene to Polypropylene, among others.
Plastic tanks are popular because they are cost effective, long lasting, come in different shapes and they are light. Plastic tanks however need to be repaired from time to time as they get damaged easily by the elements, harmful substances and so on.
When repairing plastic tank you will need tools such as:
- Rubber Gloves
- Epoxy Resins
- Small Brushes (disposable)
- Fiberglass Patches
- The first and probably obvious step of repairing a plastic tank is to empty it of all its contents like water, fuel and so on. If the contents will be used later, you can keep them in other containers.
- Some of the areas up for repair can be difficult to reach and you can reach these areas by removing the tank.
- The next step is to drill two tiny holes each at either of side of the crack on the p plastic tank that is in need of repair.
- You should then make sure that the area around the crack is rough so that the patch can stick on it easily. The rough effect can be brought on the surface if you sand it.
- When cutting the fiberglass to be used for the crack on the plastic tank you should make sure the cut is bigger than the crack. You can make it bigger by either 1 or 2 inches. Remember to do the cutting in every direction.
- Mixing of the epoxy resin and a suitable catalyst should be the next step of repairing a plastic tank.
- The area which had been earlier sanded then covered with resin should then be applied with the patch.
- Use the small brush to ensure the patch is completely covered within the resin.
- You should then leave the plastic tank for twenty four hours.
- After twenty four hours you should refill the tank then check for any leaks.
- You should be careful to put on a mask so that the fumes can not get to you and harm you. If the crack had been in place which was difficult to reach and you had to remove it, you should remember to return it. The resin should be applied within twenty minutes. Failure to this it will harden and you will have a difficult time working with it.