Chicken is so versatile that it can be prepared and cooked in several ways. What’s even a plus is that it’s easy to cook. One of the many ways to cook chicken is through the oven. So if you’re interested to learn how to cook chicken in the oven, here’s a great recipe that you can try, the oven-braised chicken.
Perhaps one of the easiest ways to prepare chicken is by oven braising. It serves as a delicious dinner that the whole family will enjoy. Of course it’s also a great dish to serve over lunch or dinner parties. Even though simple to make, it is probably the most reliable dish, meaning, you will hardly make a mistake trying out this dish. At the same time, as simple as this recipe seems like, there are a lot of variations you can do to this dish. You can add different herbs or spices to add a different taste to the dish. So without much further talk, let’s start learning how to cook chicken in the oven with the Chicken with Wine, mushrooms, and olives recipe!
To begin with, first prepare the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut up and patted dry
- 1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 black European olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp minced parsley
Now let’s start learning how to cook chicken in the oven with these few steps:
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat the oil.
- Now add in the chicken pieces and cook on high heat until brown.
- Make sure to transfer the chicken pieces on a bowl as they brown one by one. Don’t overcrowd the chicken pieces in the pan. So frying the chicken in batches is fine.
- While you fry the chicken, make sure to preheat your oven to 350 F.
- When all the chicken pieces have been cooked and transferred to a bowl, lower the heat and add in the onions. Sauté the onions until tender.
- Next, add in the garlic and cook for about a minute or less.
- Then add in the mushrooms and increase the heat to medium high.
- Cook until the mushrooms turn to brown.
- Next, add in the thyme, wine, and the olives. Make sure to stir as you scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned parts.
- Bring back the chicken to the pan. If there were juices that dripped in the bowl, add those too.
- Continue to cook as you baste the chicken with the juices in the pan.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper.
- Now, cover the oven-proof skillet and place it in the oven.
- Bake the chicken for about 40 minutes.
- Check back from time to time to baste the chicken once or twice.
- Once done, sprinkle your dish with parsley right before you serve!