Tapioca is one of the popular ingredients to use for desserts. It has been a favorite dessert especially in the Southern America and Asian countries. Tapioca is actually a clear odorless starch that comes from the root called cassava.
Others also call cassava as mandioca, manioc, bitter cassava, manioc, boba, and many others. Tapioca has become a staple food in some countries but worldwide, it is used as a thickening agent in foods. It is gluten and almost protein free.
Perhaps the most popular tapioca worldwide is the pearl tapioca. Let’s find out how to cook tapioca with this tapioca pudding recipe below.
Tapioca pudding is one of the popular kid’s desserts especially back in the days. Now however, it has become less and less popular. So why not rebuild your favorite pudding back when you’re a kid and learn how to cook tapioca pudding today? It’s very easy to make. Just follow this recipe to achieve great results.
Before you start cooking your tapioca, make sure to check the cooking instructions in the package. If it requires that you us soak your pearl tapioca in water overnight, then you’ll have to reduce the milk for this recipe. Instead of using 3 cups, just use two and a half cups of milk. Also, do not buy the instant tapioca as it will alter this recipe. If you don’t know where to find it, look for it at the baking section of the supermarket. So now, let’s prepare the ingredients.
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
Now let’s start preparing your tapioca pudding! Here are the steps to follow:
- Prepare a 1 ½ quart pan and add in the tapioca, milk, and salt. Cook on medium high heat.
- Let it boil, stirring continuously.
- After boiling, let it simmer for 5 more minutes at the lowest heat and uncovered.
- Gradually add in the sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- Using the method called tempering add in some of the hot tapioca to the eggs, very slowly. This is to avoid the eggs to curdle. This will also equalize the temperature of the egg mixture and the tapioca mixture.
- Now, place the egg mixture to the pan with the rest of the tapioca mixture. Lightly bring to boil while continuously stirring.
- Reduce the heat and continue stirring until you get a thick pudding consistency.
- Cool for 15 minutes and then add vanilla.
- Serve warm or chilled.