One of the luxurious dishes is the fillet mignon. It may be pricey to eat fillet mignon at your favorite posh restaurant, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it at home. Here’s a simple guide that will help you learn how to cook fillet mignon right at the convenience of your home.
It’s a great dish to serve your guests for that special dinner. So let’s not waste any more time. It’s time you learn how to cook fillet mignon that your family and friends will love. Let’s start cooking!
Before we go to the step by step instructions on how to cook fillet mignon, let’s first prepare the ingredients. Here are the things you’ll need to cook that sumptuous fillet mignon.
For your steak, you will need:
- 4 filet mignon steaks, about an inch thick
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For your wine-mushroom sauce, you will need:
- 3 oz chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 c shallot (minced)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine (I used Merlot, my favorite)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Now, it’s time to cook. Follow these instructions for a great fillet mignon steak!
- It’s important to prepare your wine-mushroom sauce. So first thing to do is to mix your mushrooms and flour in a clean bowl. Just toss it to coat your mushrooms and then set it aside.
- In a medium pan, mix the balsamic vinegar, shallots, and the wine. Bring it to a boil until it gets thick. Then reduce the heat.
- Now, add to it the broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, and the rosemary. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Now, it’s time to add the mushrooms and cook for another three minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Next, add in the mustard and heat for a few more minutes.
- Now, your sauce is ready. Set it aside to serve with your Filet Mignon later on.
Now, let’s prepare the steak.
- Sprinkle the steak with black pepper and salt on both sides.
- Now, heat a non stick pan on medium heat. Alternatively, you may use a grill and preheat at medium heat.
- Cook the steaks for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on the doneness that you like. Just don’t go over ten minutes.
- Now, serve it with the sauce.