Couscous is an alternative to pasta. It is made up of spherical granules that are made up of the same semolina wheat used in making pasta noodles. In Maghreb, Africa, couscous has become a staple food. Couscous has become a popular ingredient in most North African cuisines. Spice up your pasta dishes by replacing them with couscous. Couscous is among the easiest grain side dishes to prepare. It can also be served plain to match your saucy meat and fish dishes. If you’ve heard of couscous or have tried one before and growing curious as to how to make it, then perhaps it’s time to learn how to cook couscous. Below you’ll find tips on how to cook couscous and a simple recipe to help you get started.
Couscous can be cooked not just with water but with liquid or sauces from other dishes that you’d like to pair it with. You can serve it with dishes like stuffed rainbow trout or even roast lamb with garlic and fennel. You can also serve it with beef stew if you like. Here’s a simple and easy recipe that you will surely love.
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
You will need the following kitchenware to make this dish:
- Measuring cups
- Dish towel
Here are the steps to follow to cook couscous:
- First prepare all the kitchenware you’ll need for the dish. Prepare your bowl, measuring cups, saucepan, dish towel, and fork.
- At the same time, gather all the ingredients you’ll need. Prepare your uncooked couscous, water, and salt. Alternatively, you can use chicken stock, beef stock, or pan juices instead of just plain water. Just use the same amount of liquid.
- In a saucepan, add in water and salt.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from heat.
- In a bowl, mix the boiling water and uncooked couscous. Mix well.
- Cover your bowl with the dish towel and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the dish towel and using a fork, fluff the couscous. You’re ready to serve!
It’s that easy. Cooking couscous is not such a hard thing to do. Alternatively, you can boil your beef stock, chicken stock, or whatever juice or sauce you’re using and stir in the couscous in the pan. Let it boil before you turn off the heat. Cover the pan and let stand for 5 minutes and it’s done!